Attorney for B Visas in South Florida

Handling Cases in St. Lucie, Martin County, and Surrounding Areas

If you want to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment, you will need to acquire a B nonimmigrant visa, also called a visitor visa. While you may receive either a B-1 or B-2 visa, both allow for only a temporary stay.

Once you arrive at the port of entry, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will determine how long you can stay in the country. This will depend on your specific travel purposes, but it is usually no longer than six months.

To obtain a visitor visa, you will need to demonstrate:

  • The purpose of your trip is for business or pleasure;
  • You plan to stay for a specific time period;
  • You have funds to cover all expenses during your stay; and
  • You have a place of residence and binding ties outside of the U.S.

If the purpose of your trip is for study, U.S. employment, paid/professional performances, work in foreign press or media, or a green card, you will be ineligible for a visitor visa.

At The Gaston Law Firm, P.A., we have a thorough understanding of the common pitfalls visa applicants experience. We can help you through the process and ensure you have everything you need to successfully acquire your B visa.

Contact our South Florida B visa lawyer at (888) 388-6859 today.

B-1 Visas

B-1 visas are for those who are visiting the U.S. to conduct temporary business for the benefit of their foreign employer. However, they cannot receive compensation from a U.S. source, nor can they work for an American employer without authorization from the U.S. government.

Foreign business people can obtain B-1 visas to:

  • Consult with associates/colleagues
  • Settle an estate
  • Evaluate investments
  • Negotiate contracts
  • Serve as a lecturer or speaker
  • Service or repair commercial or industrial equipment
  • Attend conventions/conferences

To get a B-1 visa, applicants need to show they can support themselves in the United States and provide proof of the purpose of their business trip. They must also demonstrate their intent to return to a foreign residence.

A B-1 visa can be approved for up to one year. Due to growing international business interests, there is an increasing need for foreign employees to travel to the U.S. to negotiate or invest in a business venture. A lucrative business opportunity can sometimes rest on the approval of a B-1 visa.

B-2 Visas

While B-2 visas are often called tourist visas, they allow people to come to the U.S. for a variety of reasons.

B-2 visa holders can temporarily visit the U.S. for:

  • Vacations
  • Social events
  • Non-professional (unpaid) participation in performances, sports, or contests
  • Short, recreational study programs (not for degree credit)
  • Medical treatment

If you are pregnant when you apply, you may have more trouble acquiring the visa. The Department of State has allowed consular officers to reject B-2 visa applications if they believe the applicant is visiting solely to give birth and obtain automatic citizenship for their child.

Speak With Our Legal Team Today

Have you experienced difficulties obtaining a B-1 or B-2 visa? We can help you resolve this issue. At The Gaston Law Firm, P.A., we are dedicated to providing our clients with the best possible legal services. We will walk you through every aspect of your case to ensure your legal rights are protected. Let us put our skills to work for you.

Call our South Florida B-1 and B-2 visa attorney at  (888) 388-6859 to schedule a consultation today.